Tuesday 13 January 2015

Sake Boxes - Noshi Papers

Noshi quiet often appear in JEC designs and, indeed, there are some designs based on noshi papers. The strips of paper can be quite elaborate with a different design on each piece but the papers on Sake Boxes are rather simple - long, thin strips of paper tied into a bundle.

The strips are first outlined with Japanese running stitch and then stitched in diagonal layer – yes, more short diagonal stitches!

The papers change colour two or three times along their length. The colour change is perpendicular to the edge and, unusually for Japanese embroidery, the stitches overlap so there is no gap between the colours.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The noshi tie is done in gold so, of course, I am leaving that until later.

Happy Stitching

3 comments:

Merlynn said...

I follow your work, i can't wait to see the final result ! :) I will take the JEC courses next year I hope i could be good as you !

Rachel said...

Looking good. It will be interesting to watch it grow.

Susan Elliott said...

They look great. My teacher said that prior students have had trouble keeping their edges looking neat so she suggested running stitch on the outside as you did. Yours look great so I'm going to do the same thing as you...

Did I mention that I feel far behind...