Friday 9 November 2007

Japanese Embroidery World Exhibition

I am going to Cambridge for a few days. I shall be meeting up with friends from my Bournemouth classes and attending the Japanese Embroidery World Exhibition.

Members of Kurenai-Kai in Japan have reproduced thirty-one Kombuin Fukusa, these and other embroideries will be on display at the Kaetsu Centre until 18 November.

From Sunday to Tuesday I will be working on improving my embroidery skills at a class. Embroidery Bridge Between East and West is a special design created for the World Exhibition.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The design is work on white/gold kimono silk; the weft threads are alternately white silk and gold metallic. This will be the first time I have stitched on metallic fabric and I am more that a little apprehensive about it. Phase III was the minimum requirement for enrolling and I am currently on Phase III but to be truthful, I am not sure that my stitching skills are good enough yet. This is not me being modest, I know how many times I have to redo some bits and I am told that metallic backgrounds will not stand much reworking. However, it is a wonderful opportunity to meet new stitchers and to learn from the masters, and you have to push yourself sometimes.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I took particular care framing up, I did not want to damage the fabric before I began the class, nor could I put aside the thought of how much this small piece of fabric cost. When I told a colleague that these 15 inches of silk cost 81 pounds, she asked how I could justify spending that on material. I told her that I no longer justify spending money on my hobby – I work hard for my money; I pay my bills in full and on time; and I save something every month for embroidery so I can spend it without guilt. None-the-less, I am still terrified that I will damage it before the class!

Happy Stitching

3 comments:

KV said...

I hope this class will be joyful for you, Carol-Anne. That person who tried to run a guilt-trip on you for the cost of the fabric needs to grow up. Please don't let anyone dampen your enthusiasm for your craft -- you are exceedingly talented and it is a joy for me to watch your work through this odd space of the internet.

Kathy V in NM

Anonymous said...

I hope we get to see this project as it evolves! the fabric, the silk thread, luscious! isn't silk wonderful?

Deepa said...

Beautiful pattern,Carol.And don't worry,you'll do well.